Turtles normally held in March / April to allow our youngest swimmers the opportunity to have experience of a gala. We have 2 classifications
- Under 9’s swim 25m free/breast/back
- 9 year olds swim 25m free/breast/back/fly.
Medals are presented for top 3 and trophy for best boy and best girl in each of the 2 categories. Certificates to all swimmers. Non-licenced event so ASA laws not enforced.
Tom Moore Club Gala
The Tom Moore Memorial Novice Gala is held in November and is intended to encourage younger swimmers in the club who have little or no experience of galas, hence entries are restricted: Swimmers have to be aged under the age of 13 and swim for SSC.
- Awards will be presented to top 3 in age groups under 9, 9-10, 11-12
- All swimmers will receive a certificate.
The top of our in-house galas and are licensed events held until full ASA rules. Times obtained in the gala will be uploaded onto ASA Uk swimming database and can be used as county qualification times. These are in-house galas held normally in Nov/Dec; medals are presented to the top three swimmers in each age. The medals are presented on the evening of the gala. To enter, simply fill in the entry form available from the Fixtures secretary. These championships are held under ASA rules. It is important for squad swimmers to compete to obtain a recorded time as an aid to team gala selection.
Teams chosen to represent the club at gala events are posted on the notice board normally two weeks before the event date. Swimmers will be chosen to represent the club by the Club Coach and Team Manager according to age and ability, which will vary depending on the nature of the competition being swum. It is therefore vitally important that anyone unavailable for an event informs the Coach or any Committee member at the earliest opportunity enabling alternative swimmers to be identified and approached.
Naturally it is very difficult to keep everyone happy, however if you feel your child is not being chosen for galas and he/she would like the opportunity to represent the club please speak to the Club Coach or Team Manager.
- Arena League
- National competition
- Three rounds held October, November + December
- Final held in April of following year.
- Age groups (9 in relays)10/11, 13 + U, 15 + U, Open
- Herts Major League
- Hertfordshire clubs only.
- Three rounds held January, February + March
- Age groups U12, U14, U16 + Open
- Hertfordshire clubs only.
- Three rounds held April, May + June
- Age groups 9yrs, 10yrs, 11yrs + 12yrs
Open Meet Gala
An open meet gala is a competition in which anybody may enter on payment of a fee. Entry is not limited to members of specific clubs i.e. it is open to all. Trophies and/or medals are usually presented to all finalists although some meets only recognise the top three in each age group. Some open events have a grading (either A, B or C; or a novice event), other meets are swum on a Heat Declared Winner (HDW) basis. This means that the fastest swimmer in the heats wins without having to swim a final.
- Licensed meets will allow swimmers to achieve accredited times by the ASA.
- Enter via forms on the club website.
- All entries must be made through the club, otherwise swimmers can lose out.
- Ages depend upon the last day of the gala.
- Entry times
- Some galas have qualifying times or no faster than times.
Various Levels of competition
- Held in July/August @ Sheffield
- Regional (East)
- Held in May and June @Norwich and Luton/Basildon
- Counties (Hertfordshire)
- Held in March @ The Venue Borehamwood
- General open meets
- Held at various pools.